Our vision for Gwinnett County Online Campus is to be a world-class K-12 education provider to Gwinnett County students for whom anywhere and anytime access to instruction is an optimal alternative.
The mission of Gwinnett County Online Campus is to enhance the learning of students in a world-class virtual environment as we empower them with twenty-first century knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the local, national, and global community.
Gwinnett County Online Campus is the oldest online program in Georgia, serving students since 1999. It has grown from serving 122 students in summer school/7th period in 2000 to over 5000 students in 2010. The program has grown to include 197 secondary courses, middle grades courses, math support classes, online staff development, online credit recovery, special entity support, and curriculum resources and support. In 2005, students were provided the option to take courses as a part of their regular school day. Every year the number of students taking courses exclusively online has increased. Gwinnett Online Campus has been one of the largest district level supplemental online programs in the USA for a number of years.
GOC has been recognized for quality online instruction including:
- 2006 United States Distance Learning Association Silver Award Winner
- 2008 Elluminate Center of Excellence
- 2008 eCollege Excellence in Online Teaching award – Gabby Bray, Social Studies Teacher
- Distinguished Achievement Award 07-08 for U.S. History EOCT scores
- Highest Percentage of Students Exceeding Standardized Tests, October 2008
- Platinum Star Award for Exemplary Data Verification, November 2009
- 2010 SREB/iNACOL National Online Teacher of the Year Finalist – Gabby Bray
- GCPS is the 2010 winner of the Broad Prize, the largest award for education in the country
- GCPS Science Program 2012 “90 Club” Honoree
In March of 2010, the Gwinnett County Board of Education voted to approve a charter school petition for Gwinnett Online Campus. In April of 2011, the State Board of Education approved the GOC Charter. The Gwinnett Online Campus Charter opened for high school students in 2011 and middle grades, six through eight, in 2012. Elementary grades four and five will open in 2013. GOC is committed to build upon its high level of success as a world class supplemental program to become the best fully online program in the country.